Japanese Doll Festival // ひなまつい


Happy Hinamatsuri! //うれしいひなまつり!

Click Image to Enlarge
"Hinamatsuri" (Doll's Festival) is held on March 3rd. This is a day to pray for young girl's growth, happiness and helps drive out bad spirits. It is also called "Momo no sekku (Peach Festival) because of the peach blossom season.

Most families with girls display "hina-ningyo" (special dolls for Hinamatsuri, see the photo on the right) and dedicate peach blossoms to them. They are usually arranged on a five or seven-tiered stand covered with a red carpet. At the top are the Emperor and Empress. The next step contains three court ladies (sannin-kanjo), followed by five musicians (gonin-bayashi), two ministers (udaijin and sadaijin), and three servants ending the bottom row in a five-tiered display. There are also small pieces of furniture, small meal dishes, and other things. Once Hinamatsuri is over Japanese Mothers put the dolls away. There’s an old wives tale that says the longer they keep the display up after the holiday is over, the longer it will take for their daughters to get married.

Hinamatsuri Song
Akari o tsukemashou bonbori ni
Let's light the lanterns on the tiered stand
Ohana o agemashou momo no hana
Let's set peach flowers on the tiered stand
Go-nin bayashi no fue taiko
Five court musicians are playing flutes and drums
Kyo wa tanoshii Hinamatsuri
Today is a joyful Dolls' Day


~ 0 comments: ~

~ Post a Comment ~

About Me

My photo
Konichiwa (Hello), My name is Chany Peguero I am currently a student at UMass Dartmouth. On January 23rd 2012 I was accepted to study abroad in Japan with CIEE. This blog will be used to share my experience as I apply to many Scholarships, as well as share my Gilman Project with my campers at Crossroads4Kids, and to share my experience in Japan with everyone! I hope you guys will enjoy it as much as I do. (Click on the pictures above to read my Posts!) I would love it if you would also follow me or subscribe to my post.

Followers