One Thousand Paper Cranes for Peace


            So I decided to read Thousand Paper Cranes by Eleanor Coerr to the campers during the summer. The book is based on a true story about a Japanese girl Sadako Sasaki, who lived in Hiroshima during the time of the atomic bombing. She developed leukemia from the radiation of the bomb and spent most of her time in a nursing home. Her best friend Chizuko Hamamoto tells her a story about paper cranes; if she folds one thousand paper cranes then she wil be granted a wish by the Gods. Sadako's only wish was simply to live. However, she managed to fold only 644 cranes before she became too weak to fold any more, and died shortly after. Her friends and family helped finish folding the rest of the cranes, which were buried with Sadako. They also built a statue of Sadako holding a giant golden origami crane in Hiroshima Peace Park.



            Now every year on Obon Day, which is a holiday in Japan to remember the departed spirits of one's ancestors, thousands of people leave paper cranes near the statue. On the statue there is a plaque that says: “This is our cry. This is our prayer. For building peace in this world.” There is also a statue of her in the Seattle Peace Park. Sadako has become a leading symbol of the impact of nuclear war. Sadako is a heroine for many girls in Japan. Her story is told in some Japanese schools on the anniversary of the Hiroshima bombing. Dedicated to her, people all over Japan celebrate August 6th as the annual peace day.



            The reason I chose this book was because I remember my third grade teacher, Ms. Wicker, reading this story to us. She taught us about World War II, the atomic bombs, Japans geography, and introduced the art of paper folding (Origami). Sadako's story has been apart of my childhood and I'm sure the campers will like it; It help the campers understand how one person’s story can be valuable. After we finish reading the book I plan to have the campers write wishes they have for themselves, a friend, or the community, and ask them to share their wishes with the group. Then have them fold their papers into paper cranes and hang them around the cabin.

~ 0 comments: ~

~ Post a Comment ~

About Me

My photo
Konichiwa (Hello), My name is Chany Peguero I am currently a student at UMass Dartmouth. On January 23rd 2012 I was accepted to study abroad in Japan with CIEE. This blog will be used to share my experience as I apply to many Scholarships, as well as share my Gilman Project with my campers at Crossroads4Kids, and to share my experience in Japan with everyone! I hope you guys will enjoy it as much as I do. (Click on the pictures above to read my Posts!) I would love it if you would also follow me or subscribe to my post.

Followers