My Essay is Complete !

Adding the FINAL touches to my essay !
Today I finally uploaded my essay to the Gilman Website and I must say I am super proud of myself, it took me TWO month to write this essay and have it corrected by 91,231,239,018,310 people! (exaggeration, i know,) but I'm just that excited, well here you go, let me know what you guys think!

    I was first introduced to Japanese culture in middle school by my Sensei Dickerson. She taught me about the countries' language, culture, food, and history. I had the chance to learn about another country, an opportunity that many Boston public schools do not offer to their students. This experience opened my eyes and sparked an enduring passion for Japanese language and culture. After middle school, I was fascinated and eager to learn more, but my high school did not offer any classes on Japan. Nonetheless, I continued to eagerly pursue my interest by reading Japanese manga, watching anime, and studying Japanese history, but still that was not enough. In college, I was able to return to formally studying about Japan, I took both an elementary Japanese language course as well as a course on Japanese culture and civilization. Both courses taught me about the food, Shintoism, Buddhism, the Edo era, plays by Chikamatsu and improved my Japanese. These classes confirmed my interest in the Japanese language and culture and have motivated me to seek opportunities that will allow me immerse myself in the culture in order to better understand it.
     As a computer science major with a concentration in software engineering and a sociology minor at the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth (UMD), I see a direct connection between my fields of study and my interest in Japan. Japan is one of the leading nations in the fields of scientific research, technology, machinery and medical research. Having been interested in the development of Japanese technology for several years, I am also curious to see how it is incorporated into the daily lives of the Japanese people in the 21st century. Moreover, it amazes me how the Japanese people have been able to hold onto their old values and traditions in light of the rapidly changing technological advancements. In order to explore my general interest in Japanese language and culture, as well as my specific interest in the impact technology has had on their society, I enrolled in CIEE's summer Japanese studies program and will take courses such as contemporary Japanese society, as well as a Japanese language class.
     However, my time in the classroom will only be the tip of the iceberg, as living in another country is a constant learning experience. I would have the opportunity of interacting with the local people who have different religious beliefs, political ideas, and cultural ties than me. To help meet my goal to better understand Japanese society, I will participate in CIEE's home stay option with a Japanese family, as I see no better way of connecting with a society than to live with them and partake in their day-to-day activities. Finally, while I am eager to participate in the excursions that my provider has programmed like the Meiji Shrine, Edo-Tokyo Museum, and a tea ceremony, for example. I also plan to independently explore on my own and conduct interviews that address my specific interests on technology.
     By exploring their culture it contribute to my understanding of how society and technology influence each other. With the help of CIEE, I will visit Miraikan, which means “future museum” in Japanese. This fascinating museum has hands-on exhibits of the latest developments in cutting-edge science and technology. Mirakain contains robots, virtual-reality rides, and displays that suggest future applications such as noninvasive medical procedures, and an exhibition on an environmentally friendly home. In addition, with the help of CIEE, I will interview different groups of Japanese people from different ages and socioeconomic groups on how technology influences them, how they negotiate their traditions in light of their modern society, and how they feel the future of Japan will look.
[...More text in between...]
Thank you very much for your consideration.

~ 1 comments: ~

Leila says:
at: February 22, 2012 at 10:51 PM said...

Great!!!! You have an awesome future ahead of you

~ Post a Comment ~

About Me

My photo
Konichiwa (Hello), My name is Chany Peguero I am currently a student at UMass Dartmouth. On January 23rd 2012 I was accepted to study abroad in Japan with CIEE. This blog will be used to share my experience as I apply to many Scholarships, as well as share my Gilman Project with my campers at Crossroads4Kids, and to share my experience in Japan with everyone! I hope you guys will enjoy it as much as I do. (Click on the pictures above to read my Posts!) I would love it if you would also follow me or subscribe to my post.

Followers